Wednesday 4 May 2016

PaperArtsy Blog Challenge #9 - Mono Printing....My very first Gelli print attempt!

Morning All.....

....and what a glorious morning it is here!  It's gorgeous sunshine (which we've had for several mornings) AND the awful cold wind has dropped to a gentle breeze.....PERFICK!!! 

Well, the new challenge over on the PaperArtsy Blog is for mono printing and it's finally spurred me on to get my hitherto pristine Gelli Plate(s) out and have a go.  I bought the 8" x 10" one a couple of years ago and have never done more than get it out of the packaging to see what it felt like and put it back again, lol!  I then bought a round one a year ago and hadn't used that either!!!  Darcy's introductory post on Sunday was so interesting with lots of fabulous inspiration from various artists so yesterday I gave myself a playday and after watching a few videos (love watching Barbara Gray's from Clarity Stamps) I got out a selection of stencils and very old acrylic paints and tried them out on cheap copy paper.  I didn't want to risk wasting my Fresco Finish paints on my first attempts and I knew I would have to try mixing with their retarder because they dry so fast (and it was very hot in my craftroom) so I gave the lumpy paints a lot of shaking a set to. 

This is what I came up with.....


probably because of the age of the paints as much as my inexperience the top layer did not reactivate the lower layers and dried very quickly so failed to lift as it was supposed to but.......I actually loved it!  Here's a little close up....






I ended up with lots of lovely unexpected texture and even a bit of spontaneous crackling ;-)!

I decided to turn the sheet into ATCs for a swap with some friends so glued it to some Prima packaging card and used PaperArtsy Lynne Perrella stamps over the top with Archival Ink.  It was actually a shame to cover the printing up, lol, but here are the photos.   (I have just noticed how the colours have changed with devices, the top pics were taken on my phone and are closer to true colours whilst the bottom were taken on camera, hmmm?)





Here's a couple of close ups of bits of printing detail that still show.
 



Ok, I'm off to link up to the PaperArtsy Challenge and it also fits a couple of other challenges I like (but never get time to enter) that have appropriate topics.  Country View Crafts challenge (and they have a blog hop running this month too) is 'use a stencil'.  Stamping Sensations topic is 'anything goes'.

Have a lovely day everyone.

Hugs
Lesley  Xx

16 comments:

Suzi B said...

Love the these Lesley, the jelly plate background is fabulous! Well done you
Suzi B xx

Lynne K said...

Wow, these are all fabulous, Lesley! Have to confess, after an initial tryout I've hardly used my Gelli plates either! Had the 10x8 for quite a while, then got the 6" square more recently, thinking I'd probably use it more than the big one, but haven't so far! I really must have another go with them, though I suspect my paints are even older than yours! xx

Lynne K said...

Oops, forgot to say thank you for sharing your lovely ATCs with us at Stamping Sensations! xx

Artmadnana said...

Oh Lesley. You have done yourself proud. These are stunning ATCs. Isn't it great when a Gelli plate background turns into something magical when you cut it up and add stamping over the top? Brilliant idea to stamp in brown/sepia. Lovely vintage/ shabby chic effect. I adore these!

veronica said...

they're great Lesley, love the colours you used. I found the trouble with the gelli plate is that you end up with loads of backgrounds that never get used!

sam21ski said...

Knew you could do it, they look fabulous. Hope to see you get it out and play a bit more often xx

Hazel Agnew said...

Too hoo Lesley. Loving the unexpected texture and finished results. Thanks for joining us at Country view Crafts. Xx

Helen said...

they look fabulous - love the print, and the end atcs are just gorgeous.

CastleKelly Crafts said...

All 3 are Fab X

Aquarius said...

Brilliant use of the printed backgrounds to make these great ATC's - my gelli plate hasn't seen the light of day for AGES - something I must remedy. I have too much STUFF!!

Words and Pictures said...

Love the effect you got - so dramatic - and the stamping on your ATCs is absolutely fabulous. Glad you finally got the Gelli plate painty... hope we'll see more!

Lovely and sunny here too - making it easier to get over leaving New York!
Alison x

Lucy Edmondson said...

These look amazing, Lesley, really unusual,

Lucy x

Craftyfield said...

Love these stamps with the monoprints, great results!

Ruth said...

Just the sort of background I'd strive for Lesley, awesome initiation of the gelli plate! Charming atc results...fabulous work!! Hugs Ruth xx

rachel said...

awesome work - your stencilling looks fabulous - that background is gorgeous and I love the ATCs you made! Brilliant - thanks for joining us at Country view challenges this month and good luck! Hugs rachel x

alice k. said...

This is totally awesome! I just love your background. I, too, often find it a shame to cover an unexpectedly brilliant background - but as it often is, you lose some you gain some. And here you definitely gained! Well done on your nomination.