Monday 19 April 2010

A Card for my 2nd Brother and Alexandra Palace


Just over a week ago my Craft Stamping Quartet sisters and I went to Alexandra Palace for The Big Stamp and Scrapbooking Show. Jo found us a lovely apartment at very reasonable cost for a one night stay and including a scrummy English breakfast so we were able to go for both days of the show. It's the first time I've been to Alexandra Palace and Jo totally spoiled me as she arranged our train tickets and found and booked the apartment and generally looked after me for the weekend. My craft buddies and I don't get together very often and I've only previously met Judith once and Elaine not at all but because of our shared crafting blog and the numerous emails we send each other, it didn't feel like that at all. In fact, it felt like getting together with friends I'd known and loved for years and I had a really special weekend. I also got to meet the lovely Jules of Always With a Heart fame whose blog I love. Unbelievably, although we have never met she managed to pick me out of all the people that were at Alexandra Palace on the Saturday and we had a lovely chat. The only downside was that we didn't have long enough but it made the day even more special and I'd love to see her again sometime. I'm sure we could have talked till the cows come home, Lol!

The show itself was wonderful and I watched some really inspirational demos by lovely people - Linda Elbourne, Linda Brown (LBCrafts), Hels Sheridan. There were quite a few more I watched and a few I was sorry to miss, like Barbara Grey of Clarity Stamps and Sheena Douglas. I came home on the Sunday evening with a lighter purse but a much lighter heart and heavy bags from all the purchased goodies. I just need to stay at home a bit more now and get to play with the lovely things I bought :0). I also got some beautiful pressies from my buddies too and I'll take a piccy of those for a later post.

And now to the card I have to share with you today. Don may be my 2nd brother by birth but not in my affections. My brothers are lovely men and my youngest and 3rd brother 'is' just as much loved and very much still missed as he died just over 10 years ago.


I used the same basic elements for this card as I did for my son Jamie's card a few weeks ago. I just changed the colours and used different stamps and TSS mould. The cogs stamp is by Paper Artsy and goes perfectly with the cogs Ten Second Studio mould. I used some more of my Graphic 45 paper (perfect for men's cards) and Tim Holtz Ideology pieces. I also used an EK Success punch and a Tattered Angels framed font piece.

I hope you like this one. My brother did and when he rang to say thankyou he said he'd never had an interactive card before, Lol!


I hope the blooming weather is nicer where you are than here in sunny Nottinghamshire - I don't think :0( It's been raining all morning! Never mind, at least I'm not stuck in an airport like some poor folk.

Have a good day everyone.

Hugs
Lesley Xx

14 comments:

judith@poppy cottage said...

I love the card Lesley, the colours are lovely and rich. The cogs theme is great, and goes really well with the papers. love all of the texture. I must be famous now, with my picture on your blog! I had a lovely time with you all at AP too, and was sad when our time together came to an end. We could talk forever! Looking forward to our next reunion, Judith x

Unknown said...

What a stunning card Lesley ... just beautiful! It was great to meet you at AP ... looking forward to doing it again some time X

Aquarius said...

That is a brilliant card and the colours so suitable for a man - love it. Shame about your weather it is still sunny and warm in Somerset. It sounds as if you all had a great time at Ally Pally which is a spectacular building.

Val said...

This is a brilliant card Lesley - all the elements come together so well. Looking forward to seeing all your new creations from your new purchases. I'm a really fan of Lin at LB Crafts; I think the work she does with metal is absolutely amazing.
Hugs
Valxx

Elaine G said...

What a fabulous card Lesley - so much work, I just cannot imagine having the patience to put such an amazing project together. I echo your comments about our Ally Pally trip - Jo sorted out our accomodation so well and it was so special sharing time together - it felt like we were more than just crafting buddies. Like Judith said, I am so looking forward to our next get together.

Elaine xx

Janet said...

Wonderful card Lesley. I like that main image very much. Your card has everything I like - colour, texture and interest.

Glad you had such a great time in London!

Janet xx

Sally H said...

Totally stunning card, Lesley! I love it! Glad you enjoyed yourself at Ally Pally. I'm hoping the weather cheers up for my playground duty tomorrow!

Jules said...

Hi Lesley

What a stunning creation.

So detailed and gorgeous colours. Your brother must feel so special to have received such a wonderful card.

The weather here hasn't been too bad and the sunshine managed to break through by about 4.30pm.

I think you are right. We could have talked until the cows come home .. and the sheep and goats .. .. and the very slow tortoise LOL!!

Love Jules xx

Jo said...

This card has such class, Lesley. I love all the elements and the colour is so perfect. I have a feeling it might be 8 x 8?

Hels Sheridan said...

Oooh, what a fabby card...and it was lovely to meet you Lesley...didn't get enough time for a proper chinwag, I know how you like to talk...or is that me?? *no need to answer that one LOL* Hope you enjoy playing with the goodies you got at AP. Hugs x

Maya said...

Such an awesome card!!
Love the warm colors and all the fab details!!
Hugs from Maya :)

Debbie Dolphin said...

oh wow lesley this is just so fabby.bet he loved it.great colours for a man.
debbie xxx

Beryl said...

What a fantastic creation this card is. I love it.Very inventive and the colours just right for a chap. Glad you enjoyed Ally Pally -I love that place as I spent up to 6 nights a week there for many years (roller skating)so the first time I went to a show there it brought back great memories.
Beryl xx

Sandy Ang said...

I can see why this card would appeal so much to guys. Love for you to link it up to my Victorian Fantasy challenge inspired by Steampunk Debutante.