Wednesday 5 July 2017

Why has this been languishing?

Hello for the second time today!

Two years ago some friends and I had a fabulous workshop with the lovely Lin Brown (YoursArtfully).  We'd all been in awe of the wonderful things she has created using metal with our much loved inks, stamps and paints and wanted to learn some of her techniques.  As usual I was way behind by the end of the workshop but came home with all my bits and pieces ready to assemble once I had finished my background canvas board.  Despite all my good intentions I could not decide on which colours to use so the project was left to languish until last weekend.  Yesterday I finally completed it and I'm just as pleased with it as I thought I'd be 2 whole years ago, lol!


I'm not going to attempt to describe the techniques we used but they are the sort of thing that suits me to a T.  I find working the metal with the various tools very theraputic.


A close up of the word 'Dream' hanging from the rod at the bottom.  After embossing (the letters were done by hand) the pieces were painted with black acrylic which was then buffed off just before it was dry to give the aged looked.  I decided to add just a little turquoise paint too to give a patina effect.


The canvas board had been covered with pieces of designer papers before painting and I should have left some of this showing but I found it difficult to leave a patchy background (OCD ?) and ended up obliterating most of it so I did some subtle stamping and stencilling before stamping the pretty Lynne Perrella stamp in black Archival ink. (all the stamps are PaperArtsy)


I created the flowers using PaperArtsy dies and a contrasting designer paper from my stash.


You can see more of the background stamping and stencilling in this close up.  The word 'beautiful' was handwritten into the metal and I was amazed because my handwriting is not good.  This doesn't look half bad though, lol!


And a final close up of the top section.  Don't forget if you click on the pics you can see more detail.

This really was a lovely project to make and I am sooooo pleased I finished it.  Lin's workshops are always so packed with inspiration and tuition, they are a joy......she's very patient with this old slow coach too, lol!

See you again soon.

Hugs
Lesley  Xx

6 comments:

Aquarius said...

Oh Lesley this is fabulous and it certainly deserves to be on show rather than languishing in the 'unfinished' pile. I'm not implying you have a pile of UFO's but I know I have one way and another. I prefer to call them WIP's (works in progress) which I think is a more positive title!!

Helen said...

I absolutely love how you've finished this piece, the metalwork is just gorgeous - I love that big A. your handwritten beautiful is - just that!

Sue's Crafty Corner said...

Wow, Lesley this is stunning. So glad you finished this it's beautiful and deserves to hang where everyone can see it.

Sue xx

Words and Pictures said...

A fantastic hanging, Lesley, and well worth the (2 year) wait! I love the metallic accents, especially those dangling letters - so cool. I've got some stuff unfinished from a France Papillon workshop - and I'm pretty sure that's now way more than two years ago... oops!
Alison x

Ruth said...

Worth the wait...stunning metal work and elegant colour scheme.Wonderful!! Hugs Ruth xx

UplayOnline said...

I love that big A. your handwritten beautiful is - just that!


ดูหนัง