Sunday 30 March 2014

Black Tulips.............PaperArtsy Challenge with inspiration from Jo Myhill.

Good Morning and Happy Mother's Day to Mums who are dropping by today........

.................and a special Happy Mother's Day to my own Mum (who I'm cooking dinner for today poor thing, lol), to my beautiful daughter Jenna who is doing a fab job as Mum to Izzy and Charlie and last but by no means least to my lovely DIL, Yvonne who is the best Stepmum ever I could wish on my granddaughter Alexa.

Now on to my creation for the PaperArtsy Blog Challenge for this week.  There were three designers who inspired me this week, Brenda Brown's fab tag, Deborah Wainwright's gorgeous Spring wreath and Jo Myhill's lovely tulips in a rusted planter.  Sadly, I only had time for one (because I fell asleep after tea last night ;D) and I chose the fun project by Jo Myhill because it involved rusting powder!  I bought some of this powder from PaperArtsy many moons ago and have never had the courage to try it so I thought this would be the perfect opportunity.  As usual I won't give the method details as Jo does that better than me over on the PA Blog and you can see her post HERE but there are quite a few pics.

I used a ring pull can for my planter & here it's just waiting for the rusting, oooer!


I got rather messy and very stinky with vinegar and the rusting powder and was rather disappointed with my results after about an hour of messing.


However, I tootled off for the supermarket shop and when I came back it had rusted rather nicely ;D! I wish it had run down the can more though like Jo's did but not bad for a first.


Now for a few pics of the tulips!


I took this closeup indoors to try and show the hints of Treasure Gold colours, Onyxite and Royal Amethyst.




And here's the whole thing.  Quite effective I think!


Off to do my link up to the PA Blog challenge now and then crack on with dinner preparations.  I hope you all have a lovely Sunday however you are spending it today.

Thanks for visiting and until next time .............

Hugs
Lesley  Xx

29 comments:

margaret said...

Lovely Lesley, I do love what you have done. There is so much scope with this idea!!!! Margaret

Unknown said...

Looks Fab Lesley! XxX

Jo said...

Oh lesley, that is beautiful, so glad you gave it a go and yes leaving the powder as long as possible takes a lot belief to let it do it's thing. Love he grey of the tin. Jo xx

Helen said...

It looks fab, Lesley.. I still haven't used my rusting powder!! Hope you all have a lovely day. xx

Julie Lee said...

This looks terrific, Lesley! I love the 'shabby chic' textures of the twine and the container and those tulips look fab. I tried to rust some things with vinegar and salt a while back, as I don't have any rusting powder. It took a couple of weeks and both the house and I smelt like a chippie for ages!I lit incense and then it just smelt like a Hippie Chippie! Have a lovely day with your mum. Julie Ann xxx

Lin said...

oh Lesley this is gorgeous!! Love the rusted tin it turned out great and your tulips are beautiful..tulips are one of my fav flowers xxx

Hazel Agnew said...

Well done Lesley, they are gorgeous. Not got any rusting stuff yet, on list. Lovely little project and really nice to keep. Xx

Sarah B said...

well done on all the work in this project the end result is stunning x

Anonymous said...

Lesley, it is beautiful. The TG on the tulips looks gorgeous & the rust turned out great. After seeing Jo's & everyone else's rust effects this week, I have got to find my pot of rust powder, I'm ashamed to say I've never used it.

Craftyfield said...

Only crafters could be excited by a rusted tin can! Of course now I want some of that powder... Love your tulips with the gorgeous onyxite Treasure Gold.

Paula (PEP) said...

Thoroughly interesting to see the rusting process in progress. I love the way those tulips have a rusty feel to them too but have so many metallic colours incorporated. It sounds like you needed the sleep in readiness for all you're up to today. Have a super day yourself.
Paula (PEP)

Etsuko said...

Beautiful tulips and the perfect rusted tin can is so stunning. xx

snazzyoriginal said...

Oh my Lesley these tulips are stunning xx

Jacqui Chimes said...

Really lovely

Darcy Marshall said...

wow thats fabulous, not had success with my powder yet, must give it another go.

Unknown said...

Gorgeous Lesley xx

massofhair said...

Beautiful project Lesley, your tulips are stunning; the TG brings them alive. Hope you having a lovely Mothers Day:-) xxx

Lucy Edmondson said...

Absolutely wonderful, love the tin can!

Lucy x

Redanne said...

The rusting looks amazing and I love the beautiful flowers you have created. What a fabulous project! Hugs, Anne x

Paula Whittaker said...

Brilliant job Lesley

Netty said...

Love your wonderful garden ornament Lesley......fell asleep in the chair....now that certainly does ring a bell with me.......lol Annette x

http://nettysartadventures.blogspot.co.uk/

Elaine said...

Great work Lesley. I have some rusting powder that has never seen the light of day either!!! I love your tulips, such great combination of the different stamps, textures and finishes. Love the treasure gold colours. So nice to see all your PA projects. Elaine xxx

Words and Pictures said...

Brilliantly effective - I love the rusting on the can, and the tulips are so glamorous... the contrast between the two is fabulous. Love this take on Jo's inspiration.
Alison x

Beryl said...

Those tulips are brilliant Lesley and although I wouldn't normally put flowers in an old can - in this instance it's perfect combination.
Beryl xx

Aquarius said...

I'd not heard of rusting powder but you've done a grand job making this interesting piece of art - love it. I hope you had a lovely day yesterday.

lisa said...

Hope you had a lovely Mother's Day Lesley. I've never heard of rusting powder. I love the idea of you going out and coming back to to find the magic had happened. Love the tulips, they look great in the garden!!!
Hugs Lisax

Anonymous said...

Fabulous rusting, & those tulips look amazing Lesley!
Alison xxx

Sally H said...

That is gorgeous, Lesley! Your rusting looks spot on to me - wonderful!

Val said...

Beautiful Lesley, you produce the most stunning work.
Valxx